Do you need to spice up your “Taco Tuesdays”?
Look no further! We’ve got the best fish tacos recipe around! Tacos should not be restricted to only beef or chicken; so open your mind to these tasty fish tacos dish with chipotle yogurt sauce!
The filling of these tacos is basa fish. Basa fish is a single-boned white fish that contains less fat and oil than other fish. Basa fish is also high in protein and omega-3 fatty acids. The tacos are then filled with a healthy slaw composed of apple cider vinegar and shredded purple cabbage. Purple cabbage is a major superfood that provides over 14 nutrients to the body, fights inflammation, and promotes gut health, heart health, and bone health!
While the initial aroma and strong taste of apple cider vinegar can be off-putting, consider the health benefits it provides. Apple cider vinegar has held the reputation of a flexible home remedy for many years. In addition to being used to heal various medical conditions, it also advances weight loss, eases diabetes symptoms, and reduces blood sugar and cholesterol levels. Trust us, with the seasoning and flavor the chipotle sauce brings, you won’t even notice! This is the best fish tacos recipe!
Finally, these tacos are topped with the most delicious chipotle yogurt sauce. The sauce base is Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is a great staple ingredient because it is rich in probiotics, potassium, vitamin B-12, and calcium. For the kick of chipotle flavor, add paprika, chili powder, lime juice, and honey! This sauce is the main key to this recipe being the best fish taco recipe.
With tasty, healthy ingredients like this, it’s easy to see this is the best fish tacos recipe. We truly believe this dish will be a hit with you and your family! Try it out and let us know how you like them!
Blackened Fish Tacos With Chipotle Yogurt Sauce
- Food Processor (optional)
- 4 small unthawed fillets of basa (or similar white fish)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 3 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 2 eggs
- 16 soft taco shells either wheat or corn
- 3 cups of shredded cabbage
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- pinch of salt & pepper
Chipotle Yogurt Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the panko breadcrumbs, and spices together in a shallow baking dish.
- Place the egg into a separate shallow dish and beat well.
- Now take the fillets of fish and place them one at a time, first into the egg wash and then into the panko mixture. Cover the fish in the breadcrumbs.
- Once all fish have been coated in the panko, place them in a preheated non-stick pan that has been sprayed with oil.
- Place 2 fish fillets at a time into the pan and sear each side for 1 minute and remove from the pan. Re-spray the pan with oil and repeat for the next 2 fillets. Place the seared fish onto a baking sheet and place in the the oven for 8 minutes.
- While the fish is cooking, shred the cabbage (use green or purple cabbage, or a combination of both). For ease, use a food processor with appropriate cutting blade, alternatively thinly slice with a knife. Place the cabbage into a bowl and add in 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and a small pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- With 3 minutes left on the cooking time for the fish, wrap the soft taco shells in foil and place in the oven to warm up.
- To make the yogurt dip, place the yogurt into a small bowl and add in the lime juice, chili powder, honey, paprika and mix well.
- The fish is cooked when it is flaky but not dry on the inside, the internal temperature should be 145°F (63°C).
- To assemble the tacos take a taco shell and fill with a few small pieces of fish, top with cabbage slaw, and chipotle sauce.
Food Author at Housholdhealthy.com
Based in Saskatoon, SK
I’m a food author based in Canada. My household consists of 6 amazing people, so I have to constantly come up with new recipe ideas that fit all my family member’s likings. I care a lot about the ingredients used in my food. I joined Household Healthy because of that, and I am excited to share my recipes with all the families out there.
Let's Stay In Touch!
Subscribe to the Household Healthy weekly newsletter for exclusive access to incredible Recipes (including plant-based!), Meal Plans, Coupons, and SO much more.