Coming up with new meals for your family can be a monumental challenge. You need to find something tasty, easy, and quick, while still making sure it’s nutritious and filling. Toast might not be high on your list of meal options, but this breakfast staple with hundreds of years of history gets a unique and delectable facelift with this Easy Fried Egg Spinach Pesto Toast recipe.
With a fried egg nestled delicately on a bed of brilliant green spinach and flavorful pesto, your family will get a breakfast full of all the vitamins and nutrients they need for a great day without sacrificing flavor. The best part of this dish is how fast it is. All you need is five minutes to prep and five minutes to cook. Then, simply spread the pesto on your toast, lay down a bed of spinach and sun-dried tomatoes, and top with your fried egg, and you’ll have the perfect on-the-go, elevated toast your family deserves.
Easy Fried Egg Spinach Pesto Toast Ingredients
The best meals start with the best ingredients and the ingredients in this Fried Egg Spinach Pesto Toast recipe are the creme de la creme:
- Spinach: Packed with vitamins and minerals, there’s a reason so many nutritionists recommend adding spinach to your diet. It all adds an earthy note to the flavor profile.
- Whole Grain Bread: Rather than loading up on empty carbs with white bread, use whole grain bread that will be healthier and heartier.
- Sun-dried Tomatoes: Not only will the sun-dried tomatoes add a pop of color, but they’ll also give a bright, summery feel to your Easy Fried Egg Spinach Pesto Toast.
- Eggs: Obviously, you’ll need eggs to achieve this recipe. They’re the star of the show! For best results, make sure your eggs are fresh.
- Pesto: With a nutty, tangy explosion of flavor, the pesto is what really sets this Easy Fried Egg Spinach Pesto Toast apart from the rest. Say goodbye, boring avocado toast!
- Salt & Pepper: While these are simply added to taste, they can really bring out the many layers of flavor in this simple toast recipe.
Pro tip: If you want to cut down on carbs, switch out the whole grain bread for slices of sweet potatoes. Don’t worry, you don’t have to do any extra steps! You can actually toast the sweet potato slices in the toaster, just like you would the bread.
Fried Egg Spinach Pesto Toast
- 2 cups spinach packed
- 2 slices of whole grain bread
- 4 sundried tomatoes rehydrated
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp. pesto
- salt & pepper
- Rehydrate sun-dried tomatoes by covering them with hot water and letting them stand on the counter for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and 1 teaspoon of water to a small saucepan and cover with a lid. Allow the spinach to steam on medium-low heat for 3 minutes. Stir and once the spinach has wilted, remove from heat.
- While the spinach is cooking, spray a frying pan with a little oil. Place the pan over a medium heat. Crack the two eggs into the pan and lightly season with salt and pepper. For a running yolk, cook the eggs for 2-3 minutes and for a firm set yolk flip the egg and cook for another minute.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread in the toaster.
- To assemble, chop the sundried tomatoes and spinach. Spread 1 1⁄2 teaspoon of pesto on each slice of toast, top with the wilted spinach and sundried tomatoes and lastly place an egg on each.
Food Author at Housholdhealthy.com
Based in Saskatoon, SK
I’m a food author based in Canada. My household consists of 6 amazing people, so I have to constantly come up with new recipe ideas that fit all my family member’s likings. I care a lot about the ingredients used in my food. I joined Household Healthy because of that, and I am excited to share my recipes with all the families out there.
Let's Stay In Touch!
Subscribe to the Household Healthy weekly newsletter for exclusive access to incredible Recipes (including plant-based!), Meal Plans, Coupons, and SO much more.