Save time, save energy, and nurture your body with this quick and easy post workout power bowl recipe!
After expending most of your energy during a good, sweaty workout, it can be difficult to build up the mental strength needed to make a healthy, vegetarian meal. Good news for you – this post workout power bowl recipe doesn’t ask for much mental energy OR time! On top of that, it’s also delicious and nutritious. Mmmm.
With a name like “power bowl,” it certainly lives up to its name considering it’s packed with powerful nutrients to carry you through post workout metabolism. The yam, quinoa, lentils, rocket, and cranberries provide your body with excellent nutrients that help replenish energy, repair muscles, restore oxygen levels, and other awesome things.
Don’t let the minimal, simple ingredients fool you. They combine to create tasty, mouth-watering, robust flavors that make you forget it only consists of 10 ingredients.
The lentils and quinoa team up to fashion a hearty base, the cranberries add a little tang, the rocket leaves give spice and crunch, while the yam provides a sweet and comforting taste. This vegetarian recipe alone contains the power to convert anyone to vegetarianism. Maybe that’s why it’s called a power bowl?
This recipe is perfect for those with limited time since it only requires 25 minutes to prep and cook. You’ll barely have time to think about how hungry or whooped you are after exercising!
Just remember to preheat the oven while you’re preparing the ingredients to save time. Need to save even more of your valuable minutes? Skip homemaking the dressing and grab your favorite bottle of store-bought salad dressing instead! You’ll definitely want to try this yummy dressing though, so consider making extra so that it’s ready to go next time.
Whether you are winding down after a workout or not, give this delicious, nutritious post workout power bowl a try; it will surely satisfy both your tastebuds and bodily needs. Now, enough reading – get cooking!
Post Workout Power Bowl
- 1 Medium Yam
- 1/2 cup Dried Quinoa
- 1/4 cup Green Lentils
- 4 cups Rocket
- 2 tbsp. Dried Cranberries
Dressing (or Substitute for Store-bought Salad Dressing)
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp. Water
- 1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp. Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp. Tarragon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Peel the yam and chop into cubes, toss in a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the yam onto a lined baking sheet and place in the oven for 20 minutes until cooked through.
- Place the quinoa and green lentils in a pot with 2 3⁄4 cups (660ml) of water. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with lid and cook for 20 minutes.
- To make the dressing mix the water, mustard, maple syrup, tarragon, and a pinch of salt and pepper in a small bowl with a whisk. [You can omit this step if using store-bought salad dressing.]
- To assemble, place the rocket on a large platter and top with the cooked quinoa, lentils, and yams. Drizzle with the dressing and serve onto two plates.
Food Author at Housholdhealthy.com
Based in San Francisco, CA
In my household, food is very important, I care very much about what my two girls and I are putting in our bodies. I love cooking and sharing different tasks with my girls, cooking became a fun activity to do in our family. My goal on Household Healthy is to share my recipe ideas and advice with our moms.
Let's Stay In Touch!
Subscribe to the Household Healthy weekly newsletter for exclusive access to incredible Recipes (including plant-based!), Meal Plans, Coupons, and SO much more.