This Santa Fe Chicken Salad Recipe is made from scratch with some very creative and flavorful combinations to tickle your taste buds!
I love the green onions, guacamole, corn and black beans in this salad, but it’s even better with a tangy homemade lime dressing (I love dressing my salads with lemon, garlic and/or Sriracha, but I also understand that some folks are on the more traditional side, so this one features a delicious addition of fresh lime!)
This week is all about introducing a new salad to our diet, because—as is too often the case—the dinner options in the earlier part of the week can get predictable. I’m also challenging you to try new items with these salads because I think they’re deliciously adaptable depending on you and your family’s preferences.
Simply put, I hope that your summer salads are so far beyond your expectations that you can’t wait to share with us!
Indeed, this Santa Fe Chicken Salad Recipe has so many good things going on it may even trump my Sunday night cauliflower curry.
This Santa Fe Chicken Salad Recipe is bold, beautiful, fresh, and South-west, which is the perfect way to eat healthy anytime, on the go or no!
Sure, this recipe is a little different than your typical at-home salad because it’s got some tang and a bunch of flavor, but don’t let that put you off because it’s incredible and packed with all the good stuff!
Sprinkle it with a dash of crunchy tortilla chips for some crunch. It’s a perfect light meal that’s totally tasty and totally healthy.
So, let’s get started with this Santa Fe Chicken Salad Recipe!
Santa Fe Chicken Salad
- BBQ Grill or Pan
- 2 5oz. skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1/2 cup canned sweetcorn
- 1/2 diced red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup baby tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped dates, chopped
- 2 limes
- 1 avocado
Chicken Spice Rub:
- 3/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. powdered garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. powdered onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 1/8 tsp. salt & pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tsp. honey or agave
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaf
- small pinch salt & pepper
- Preheat the BBQ grill.
- Mix the chicken rub spices together in a small bowl. Rub on both sides of the chicken breasts with a spoon or with your hands.
- Place the chicken on the grill for 5-8 minutes on each side. The chicken is done when the internal temperature reaches 165°F (75°C).
- While the chicken is cooking put 2 cups of greens into two separate bowls. Chop the onion, dates and baby tomatoes and divide equally into each bowl. Drain and rinse the sweetcorn from the can and measure out 1⁄4 cup for each bowl.
- Slice the avocado in half, remove the pit, peel off skin and slice. Cut the lime in 1⁄2 and squeeze the juice onto the avocados to stop them from browning.
- To make the dressing, finely chop the coriander and garlic. Juice the limes to measure out 1⁄8 of a cup. Mix the oil, lime juice, garlic, coriander and honey, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Slice the cooked chicken and place on top of the salad. Pour the dressing over the two bowls. Serve immediately with an extra lime wedge and some fresh coriander.
Food Author at Housholdhealthy.com
Based in Saskatoon, SK
I’m a food author based in Canada. My household consists of 6 amazing people, so I have to constantly come up with new recipe ideas that fit all my family member’s likings. I care a lot about the ingredients used in my food. I joined Household Healthy because of that, and I am excited to share my recipes with all the families out there.
Let's Stay In Touch!
Subscribe to the Household Healthy weekly newsletter for exclusive access to incredible Recipes (including plant-based!), Meal Plans, Coupons, and SO much more.